
June 11, 2002. I remember this date very clearly for three reasons. 1: It was my birthday, 2: I was on my honeymoon in San Diego (get your minds out of the gutter), and 3: An exciting new show was premiering called American Idol. It was supposed to be fabulous and wonderful. I tuned in for the first 5 minutes and was disgusted so I turned it off and found something better to do (like I said, get your minds out of the gutter, for all you know I went to SeaWorld). I was totally unimpressed at the millions of average people who think they have talent. Do people not realize that the show is completely staged and most of the horrible people are hired for entertainment value? Yeah. It's true. They know who's going to win before they even start. I might be a little more impressed if they had real people who wrote their own songs, maybe played an instrument or two and were actually good. The only good thing to ever come out of American Idol is Daughtry (Yes, I'm humble enough to admit my guilty pleasure). And why William Hung and Sanjaya ever had their 15 minutes of fame is beyond me. I know lots of people who say "I just watch the first few episodes to see the really bad people". To that I say "Stop giving them ratings and encouraging it!"
Here's the thing that REALLY irks me about American Idol. I turn on the local news and I hear what rude and silly things Simon said last night. I think to myself "Surely, something more exciting is going on in the world." I turn off the TV and turn on the radio. I hear again about American Idol and turn the radio off. Surely CNN will have some relevant news to talk about, right? Wrong. Really? NOTHING is going on in the world? Wow. What have we come to? It's annoying and I just don't care. If I wanted to hear about it, I WOULD WATCH THE DANG SHOW! And here's the kicker: The other day I checked my myspace and facebook and was very excited when I had some friend requests...until I realized they were BOTH from people on American Idol! GAH! Just leave me alone!!
And to end my rant...doesn't anyone remember the second Commandment? You know, the one about worshipping idols and graven images. There you have it.
P.S. To add to the "American Idol is not news" thing, neither is Paris Hilton or Britney Spears. There's more important things going on in the world than some dumb girls showing the paparazzi their nether regions.
3 comments:
niiice... i like the no worshipping idols reference.. i will have to take that into consideration for a future american idol debate.
rock.
on.
I am in COMPLETE agreement with you on this issue..........just wondering if you took your Midol today......that's all!! :)
Amen sister, Amen!!!
Post a Comment