Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Right of Passage into Toddlerhood

The other day we were over at Grandma and Grandpa's. Brady and Zeke were helping my dad re-shingle their roof, while us girls played inside. Jaydin was quietly playing with her cousins in the other room. When her cousins came in the room where we were without her I ask, "Where's Jaydin?" They say "I don't know, I thought she was with you." Oh great. A million thoughts run through my head when I realize she found the doggy door the other day and has been hankering to go through it. I run to the mud room where the doggy door is and there is my child, hunched over the dog's dish eating dog food. But no, she's not just picking it up with her hands, she has her face in the bowl eating it like the doggy was eating. The poor 14 year old dog was just standing there watching, slightly miffed because the kid that terrorizes her is eating her food. I scream because it's gross, and immediately, she runs towards the doggy door, giggling wildly of course, and tries to escape. I gather my composure, pull her back through the doggy door and scoop the dog food out of her mouth. Then I had to give her the "You're not a puppy, you're a little girl" speech. I go and tell Grandma and Aunt Julie what the ruckus was and they ask if I got a picture of her hunched over the bowl. Of course I didn't stop to take a picture, I was more worried about getting the dog food out of her mouth. Now as I think back on it, the obvious thought would have been to grab a camera and record that moment for future blackmail and I'm a little mad that I didn't...but honestly, I don't think that will be the last time. I'm sure there will be plenty more opportunities to capture that on film. Now I can say I officially have a toddler.

No comments: